I am amazed at how people are reacting to my closing the shop.
People tend to fall into one of three categories.
The vast majority are quite supportive. They inquire why I made this decision, give me words of encouragement and then tell me they will miss me/the business. These are people who know me or love me. Or tend to be the customers that I enjoy the most because of their nature in general. They have taken the time to get to know me a little bit and speak kindly to me. I had one customer actually cry when I told her. Others have been so visibly saddened that it created quite an awkward silence. I, of course, felt the need to fill the silence with justification of my decision, which didn't make things better. Some have shared their regrets of not being with their children more. Some have ask for my personal information or shared theirs so we could keep in touch. All of these people are the reason it will be difficult to close the doors. I will miss those relationships.
The second category is for those who simply want me to know how this affect them. They want to know where they will now shop. Or where they will sell their furniture. Or what are they supposed to do with the items that haven't sold. Or why couldn't I have waited until their furniture sold. While I do my best to direct them accordingly, I find myself wanting to remind them that this decision really has nothing to do with them. I keep my mouth shut.
The final category of people are the ones that cause me the most angst. They come in here and assume I was defeated in my business. They say something derogatory like "Guess sales just weren't enough". I actually had one lady come in and say "No offense, but I knew you wouldn't make it. Your location is terrible." I had a very difficult time remaining Christian. I tried to politely explain that it was a family decision that had nothing to do with finances. Then she laughed and said "If sales were great, you wouldn't be getting out." I should have let it go; it led to futile conversation that would have been easier to just ignore. I want these people to know that we did okay. But I really shouldn't care.
Oh, there is one more group of women. I have had not 3, but 4 -F.O.U.R.- offers to sign up for a home based business. I can't tell you how much of a turn off this is to me. I know there are several people who to this and do it well. More power to you!!!! Earn some extra money for your family!!! Invite me to a party!!! But please don't ask me to sign up under you. It ain't gonna happen. One lady actually told me that she doesn't even buy the products, she just signs people up under her and let them do the work. If she gets 18 people to sell the product, she gets "paid for life". Aren't pyramid schemes illegal yet?
Why am I telling you all this? Because I needed to get it off my chest. And also it has me thinking about what kind of person am I. Am I one to encourage those going through change, or do I make it about me? Do I assume the worst?
I'm pretty sure God wants us to be encouragers. Encouragers for peace, strength and following God led changes.
What Should Have Happened
2 months ago
7 comments:
amen.
You are a lot stonger than I am. I would have had quite a few choice words to say to some of those women.
I'm in group #1. I think spending time with your kids is the best thing you can do for them. You'll never get that time back if you don't do it now.
Love you, M
Sarah, I would like to sit down with you for just 5 minutes and share with you about how "Loadacrap Industries" can change your life. It will only cost $50 to get started, and then $1500 a month to continue. You don't even sell anything, you just pay me to be around and be supportive. Let's talk!
I love ya girl!!! Oh and I am in group 5...I love you and I want what is best for you and your family!! ; )
We live in a society that cannot comprehend giving up something lucrative for our children. Take it from someone who just quit a job in engineering for their upcoming baby. I got oodles of comments. Ex-stay-at-home-moms who's kids have grown up are generally understanding. Moms who wouldn't quit work if they could in general don't understand..."why would you not earn what you are capable of earning with that degree?" Because I don't want to put my son in daycare where he is raised by a perfect stranger! AND...the degree is very useful in the case that Daddy cannot provide for the family for one reason or another (illness, injury, death, etc). It's ridiculous. You will never get the breath back that you wasted talking to people like that.
I am glad your doing what YOU want! That is important! I am sorry about the harsher categories, but I love ya and I am happy for ya!
I am h appy for you. It sounds like you made the right decision for your family.
As for Blogger Fest, all I am talling people is to bring your favorite finger food. The "hosts" are each decorating a table so the work is done! Just invite all your friends, especially those that stalk but don't have a blog. We want to get to know them too. Preferably noone with felonies. I will e-mail you the location
Post a Comment