Thursday, July 03, 2008

Blog stalking etiquette

Ok, I know I am not alone in my fascination of other peoples lives and spying on strangers blogs. (Some even stalk good friends - you know who you are, TW!!!)

My question is, as a blog stalker who wants to break her silence, what is the proper etiquette? Do I somehow introduce myself first? Or do I just jump right in and add my own comment to this strangers dialog?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Strangers, feel free to break your silence and leave your comments.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have no idea about proper procedures, but Sarah it took me forever to figure out this picture. MA

Sarah said...

Just so you know, that is neither of your grandchildren. hahah

Natalie Witcher said...

Just do what you did! Just pop on in! I have a munchkin named Piper too!

Summer said...

I just received a comment from someone in South Africa...Personally, I would rather have never known she was looking at my blog.
On another note, I am consiering planning a 'blog stalkers' party. Just a get together for all of us who blog regularly but never actually talk in person (or at lesat not that often). I contacted a girl from Edmond c of c who siad she would help round up all of their mommy bloggers. E-mail me sometime if you are interested and let's plan something!

Valerie said...

I'm never sure, either. Let me know if you figure it out!

(Glad to know I'm not the only stalker out there. Except I like to think about it as "keeping up with people", even people I don't really know!)

suzspeaks said...

I usually just leave a comment saying that I've been reading for a while....it's a little weird, but we all do it!! Summer...the blog party sounds SO fun!!

Heather said...

Hey--I have actually had a "blog-stalker" leave a comment on mine--and it was fine...I'll admit it was a little strange knowing someone we don't know AT ALL was reading, but her husband's name was also Josh Fowler, and that was how she found my blog! I think it's okay to leave your comment.
And, sounds like a fun party, Summer!!

jenn b said...

Hey Sarah, I've been thinking about starting a blog but now I'm a little freaked out after reading some of these comments about comments from "unknowns"! By the way, I too am a blog-stalker and I hardly ever comment because I feel like just that-a stalker! I guess I should start my own so I can at least be stalked back! ;)

Amber said...

We got several comments from peeps we didn't know when I started posting about Aric's stuff. It doesn't bother me one bit, I think it's kind of neat and fascinating.

I think all of us are blog stalkers, although I do like Val's comment about "keeping up with people".

Valerie said...

Sweet, now I can stalk--I mean keep up with--Amber!

Anonymous said...

Pretty neat responce, hey Da?

Jaime said...

I have left comments before to people that I kind of knew-just not well. And they never wrote me anything back. I feel a little gun-shy now. I think a reply simply to say, "thanks for reading" would be polite. Don't you? Well...I don't think that really answers your question, but I wanted to get it off my chest. :-)

Jaime said...

Clarification--I comment on their blog when I am "dropping by".

Jen said...

I'm new to the blog world and I have been wondering the same thing. I kind of thought that's what blogging was about, right? Sharing your thoughts with others and maybe meeting some new and interesting people in the process. I hope so...I'm a stay at home mom and sometimes just need a break with "friends" Come by to check out my new blog sometime! :)