Thursday, November 26, 2009

Today I am thankful

I am thankful for a day of Thanks.

I have enjoyed writing out what I am grateful for this past week and should continue it for many more days. I wanted to include a picture each day, but realistically that couldn't happen . I think this has been my way of rebelling against the passing over Thanksgiving for Christmas. Like so many (most) holidays, we have lost the meaning behind Thanksgiving. We live in a land of so many blessings. Blessing that we, in no way, can take credit for. Blessings that we were born (or made our way) into a country founded on freedoms and faith. Blessings that even though we intruded, we have been able to peacefully co-exist. Blessings that we have an abundance of food, and every other need imaginable. Blessings that we have friends and/or family to surround us.

But I already see Christmas lights and hear Jingle Bells. I've seen decorations in stores since July (I'll not go there, it will lead me on a HUGE soapbox). Whatever happened to Thanksgiving Day, instead of a day of eating to way beyond discomfort (well, it has always been a day of eating way beyond discomfort) and mapping a plan for getting the best deal on Christmas presents?

Please, for me, take a moment today to really think about all the things you should be thankful for all year. You are blessed. Don't forget that while you are feverishly circling the sales ads for Target, Kohls, JCPenney and Home Depot for their 4am opening.

You are blessed and I am blessed.
__________________________________________

I also am thankful for my in-laws. I am so grateful to James and Marsha for raising Josh the way they did. And from the minute I became part of the family, they have loved me and treated me with nothing but respect and appreciation.

It wasn't until I was in college that I learned about 'in-law' jokes or stories. My parents had wonderful relationships with their in-laws. Not only that, but I can say my grandparents were friends with each other. I had no idea that wasn't the norm. I am, oh so, grateful that is our norm.

Thank you, James and Marsha, for loving me as your daughter.

Happy Birthday, James.

No comments: