Josh and I sat on the front porch of Granny's house in Coleman, Texas. We sat and listened to the swing squeak and the neighbor kid bounce his basketball. He was far enough away that we heard the bounce when he hand touched the ball. The breeze was just right. The clouds were building gently above us.
Josh told me he loved me. I told him the same.
Comfortable silence.
Josh told me how happy he was I was in his life. I told him the same.
Comfortable silence. Maybe even a little nap.
Josh told me he wanted to spent the rest of his life with me. Before I could tell him the same, he pulled out an amazing diamond ring and asked me to marry him. I, of course, said yes!!
We hugged and kissed. I cried. We sat in the swing a little bit longer.
It started to rain a sweet gently spring rain.
Josh offered to dance in the rain with me, an expression of love his part.
I declined the offer, an expression of love on my part.
More comfortable silence watching the neighbor boy bouncing his ball.
Then we went inside and told Granny. She was delighted to be the first to know.
And today, I am in Coleman, Texas for the wedding of a cousin.
Irony? I don't know, but I have enjoyed the strong memories it brought back.
I love you, Josh, more today than that day. And I sure loved you a lot back then.
What Should Have Happened
2 months ago
4 comments:
how sweet!!
yes, very sweet story, thanks for sharing!
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....sweet!
Oh thanks for the story. Memories, hold them close to your heart forever.
Post a Comment