Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Bailey Bunch


(click to enlarge to see the back of our shirts)

Well, Relay for Life had ended. For this year.
The Bailey Bunch will be a returning team!!

Last night was amazing. As I write this I am exhausted and weary (please excuse typos and nonsensical statements), but am on a "high".

First I want to tell you all that our team did a fantastic job. I truly could not be more proud of us and we accomplished. As a team we raised $5930ish. We won "Rookie Team of the Year" and was the only team to raise over $5000. As an event, we raised just over $85,000 and have more money coming in so the committee is confident we will reach our goal of $90,000. AMAZING! The committee did an awesome job orchestrating the entire evening. Stacey, Susan, Suzy, Tonya, and everyone else, job well done. Now get some rest.

Dinah, Alyssa, Jessica, Morgan, Bruce, Kathy, Judy and our new friends Robyn and Jeff: Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Our teamwork paid off to raise a significant amount of money for this great cause, as well as made for a great evening, night and morning. Thank you for your hard work, creativity, flexibility and friendship.

And finally, I need to share the biggest surprise of my life. Last night the survivors were lining up to say their name and how long they have been surviving cancer. I had moved up close to get some good pictures. There was a straggler Survivor being escorted from the sidelines. And as some of the committee members (see aforementioned committee members) stepped aside to allow her get in line, I see it is my mother. I was so shocked. I said "That's my mom" for anyone who was sitting nearby or cared, and cried, no - sobbed, as she said "My name is Jo and I am an eight year survivor."

I had no idea she was coming. She was supposed to be with her sister working on another project. She was supposed to be with me in spirit and heart. But there she was walking beside me. I cannot tell you what it meant to me for her to be here. I got involved in Relay for her, to honor her, and she was here for it. I am still crying about it even as she is resting in our guest room. She stayed up all night with me. Some times talking, some times not. Some times walking, some times not. But always thankful to be together.

So now, I say thank you to Dad and Aunt Jaye for sacrificing for me. Thank you, Judy, for having a heart that has always put others first. Thank you, Mom, Thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
That is so awesome! I am so proud you got to be together on such a neat occasion. I wish I could have been there. Give her a great big hug for me! Talk to you soon.
Love ya,
Jenny

Erin said...

Ok, officially doing the "ugly cry". That is an awesome amount of money and an AWESOME surprise. YEAH Jo!!!!!!!!! I'm so lucky to actually know a real live hero! Enjoy your visit together. Love to you all---Erin

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Crying here also and I even knew of the suprise. I am so proud of you and your team. Can't wait to see your Mom on Tue and hear all about the Relay. Love from OH. Joyce C

Jaime said...

Congratulations on a job well done. What a wonderful surprise. Glad your Mom was there with you.

Mandy said...

Now I'm crying too.

Lesley said...

Me too! That is amazing!

Brooke said...

Girl, you and your parents are major tear jerkers!!!
Love you Mike and Jo!!!!
I gotta stop reading your blog the last time your daddy had me in tears....