Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chilean rescue

Like many I am watching the rescue of the Chilean miners this morning. I am deeply moved by their experience and find myself trying to imagine what they are feeling right now.
Can you imagine?
I really can't.
I can't fathom 69 days with no sun, no contact with family, limited space, food and contact. I can't imagine being the first one to climb in the tiny metal cage to be pulled up. I can't imagine being the last one up either. I can't imagine where their imaginations have taken them in these 69 days.
But I can't imagine that they can walk away from this experience without being deeply affected. I pray it is for good.

I was moved to tears when I read this statement online:
"The second, Mario Sepulveda Espina, was released about an hour later. Even before the capsule reaches the surface went back, his screams could be heard enthusiastic. After hugging his wife, he laughed with rescuers by distributing stones in memory of his stay at nearly 700m below the earth.

Then he hopped, as if to prove he was doing well even before the medical team not to take her exams.

“I think I was extraordinarily lucky,” he said then in a room designed by the government for interviews. “I was with God and the devil and God took me.” He praised the work of relief: “It’s incredible that they have saved us while we were 700m from the bottom.”

I pray these men are truly rescued, not only physically but emotionally and spiritual from this experience. I pray they all feel that God took them...and rescued them from 700m from the bottom.

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

glad to read your post...I haven't turned the TV on lately so I wasn't really following it. I guess that is some REALITY show!