Friday, October 23, 2009

Tuesday morning, Brenna told me she wanted her hair like a little girl in her class. I asked her how said girls wears her hair and B said she has lots of ponytail braids with little barrettes at the ends.

Now, allow me to pause my story here to remind you that I made the commitment to allow my girls to be who they are, even if it causes embarrassment to me (on a small scale). OK, back to the story...

I was really hesistant to fulfill this request because I didn't want any children in her class to say something that would hurt her feelings. I tried to explain why her friend, who has what Brenna calls a dark face, wore the braids and why most 'peach face' girls don't wear braids. Textures and oils meant nothing to her. Since I couldn't come up with an real explanation (other than I didn't want her to get hurt by other kids), I braided my baby's hair in seven braids with all different color barrettes at the bottom.

She walked into school with head high and her braids swinging.




She had a really great day. And her joy was a reminding smack in my face of her innocence. Shame on me for projecting and fearing.


"J"



"O"


"Y"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolute JOY. Damma

The Davidsons said...

That's funny. Colt came home explaining "insert name" thinks it's crazy hair everyday because she wore ponytails all over her head. We had a litte talk about that same thing and to never tell her that.

Kayla said...

How cute! I like the look of it when its taken out!

Amy in Edmond said...

I have witnessed an eye injury this year when a little girl with lots of braids swung her head and got her barrett in her eye. It can be a dangerous hair style.

Alyssa said...

Good for you Momma.

Heather said...

Love it. Sweet girl!