Junior High.
Junior High and High School is an awful time to be a less than beautiful, talented, wealthy girl. I know it is hard on boys, too, please don’t miss my point by getting bogged down on who has it worse. The thing is, boys get over it for the most part. They hit a wall (or the offender) and move on with their group of friends. But girls are so vicious and manipulative, even to their friends. The heartache I experienced as a teenager was usually at the hand of someone who claimed to be my friend. The teasing, the ignoring, the clichés, the rejection were all awful and I didn’t want to watch my daughter experience that.
And as I began to come to terms with raising girls, I knew they would one day either be teased or be the teaser. I thought that day would come around 5th or 6th grade.
Not Pre-K.
As Bren sadly tells me about being rejected by her school friends because at that moment she wasn’t pretty enough, wasn’t wearing the right colors, a cooler friend has come along, etc, a rage boils up inside of me that I don’t quite know how to deal with.
I want to tell her those girls are stupid.
I want to go tell those girls that I don’t think they are very pretty either.
I want to devise a way for them to feel that same rejection.
I want to hunt down their Mama’s and tell them how hurtful their daughters are.
I want to…I want to…I want to take my baby in my arms and cry because MY heart is broken because HER heart is broken.
Instead, I tell her something very difficult for an almost 6 year old to understand.
I tell her that there will be people like that her entire life, even when she is as old as me. That for whatever reason some girls can’t be friends with more than one person at a time or don’t know how to inclusive with all their friends. And those same girls will most likely be that way when they are almost 36, as well. The best thing she can do is to not let it hurt her and choose someone else to play with. She doesn’t understand, but how could she, I don’t understand either.
I tell her not be like them. I tell her to be a good friend. Always. To everyone.
I tell not be like me either. I encourage her to not let those girls affect how she thinks of herself, to not believe their hurtful words and to not change who she is in an effort to be their friend.
And after she casually tells me she will just be their friend when they want to be her friend, I go to my room and cry because I think maybe, just maybe, Bren might be smarter and stronger than me. And that is a good thing.
11 comments:
hey, for some reason half your post was messed up after the
NOT PRE-K
part. But I am totally with you on everything I could read and was really worried about this with my daughter too. I've got a book for you: Reviving Ophelia. Check it out. You will learn a lot!
Yes, I read that book and loved it. BTW, thanks so much for the sweet card, Sarah. It made my day. I needed that (especially after all the brownies).
I sure hope Avery didn't make her sad! I remember Avery coming home upset because someone said her jacket looked stupid. Arg.
One of the things that makes me sadest about monica's hand is the fact that kids are down right mean! I can't tell you how many tears I've cried for the hurt my baby has felt feels and will fill! From now untill the end of time. It makes you fill so helpless. I'm sorry you are dealing wiyh this so early!
Wow - what a day and what a lesson for Brenna. You are a great mom Sarah. And I would have thought PreK a bit early for that stuff too. Let me read Reviving Ophelia after you.
I'm tearing up with you, Sarah. Let's just pray that our group of pre-ker's at church can always have a bond that transcends the horror of some other school 'friendships.' I remember all too vividly...
I think you handled it very well. I remember telling my kids in elementary school just a bit of that psychology stuff, like, "when they say things like that, they are trying to make themselves look better" and although it's hard for them to understand, I think a little of that is good for them to hear. In doing that you are treating her like a mature person and hopefully that makes her feel a little better. Also, this is the perfect time to remind her of the GOLDEN RULE. If you overreact and become too involved in your child's life, it may have adverse effects and she may not share with you again. So be careful! I know you know that! Blessings to you and yours!
I found your blog through Heather Fowler. I have 3 daughters myself and have worried about this. How do you explain to them to be the girl that is friends to everyone? It's such a hard road for girls. I admire what you said to your daughter. Reading things like this lets me know I'm not the only one out there thinking these things.
First of all, thank you for my card. You rock and I am going to carry it with me!
Secondly, I read this and screamed LILY!!!!!!!!!!! She ran in and I said "Are you and Brenna getting along at school?"
AND, I know. I get sick thinking of how it will be. I want to cage them up and not let them out. I hate that feeling.
I love you!! (oh the word verification is LOYAL! what a great word for wonderful friends!)
Wow! This was a good post to read even for those of us with boys. Jonathan and I were both mercilessly teased and heavily taunted in school. I still harbor some sour feelings toward my former classmates even though we have all grown up. My parents used to say "you will be their boss someday or prettier someday, etc". But, your response is the right one. Just press on and know that you can do nothing about anyone's attitude or ugliness but your own. That is a hard lesson and one even adults still struggle with. Lucky for Bren her momma is teaching her early. We read "The Bait of Satan" to try to get over our issues with adults being bitter and mean.
I have a very tender-hearted 6 year old and have to deal with "girl drama" a lot more than I want to. It is sad how many manipulative and rude little girls are out there. For this reason, I too wanted a boy at first. Of course, now I would have it no other way. I'll pray for you and the girls!
Post a Comment