Sunday, January 16, 2011

Opposites

Before we get to opposites, I want to share with you that Piper has learned air quotes. Or has at least learned the action of air quotes. I have no idea where she picked this up since neither Josh nor I really use them. And in spite of her Joey Tribiani style of air quoting, to my knowledge she has never seen Friends.

The first time she did it she came running in the kitchen to see what I was working on. When I showed her dinner she said, "That is "awesome". I absolutely cracked up. And maybe it was an appropriate use of the motion, because dinner was not really awesome at all. Then on the day she stayed home sick she found me scrubbing toilets and said "When you finish "cleaning" the bathroom, can we watch a movie?" Just for the record, I was really cleaning the bathroom!!! I know I should help her figure it out, but it is too funny the way she is doing it. I figure she's got "years" to get the subtle nuances of the English language mastered.

On to opposites...
Yesterday afternoon, Brenna and I were summonsed into the living room for a Webkinz pet fashion show, complete with red carpet and rocking music. Somehow the fashion show segued into a quiz show (this is not uncommon in our house). Piper explained that the theme for THIS "quiz" was opposites. Brenna and I had already been a bit of an unruly audience for the fashion show, so I should have known this was not going to really go as Piper planned.

Piper said the answer begins with the letter L, then she got distracted (I think) and started asking me something for clarity. She said something about "when you can't go to the bathroom..." and then it went downhill.
Brenna yells "Constipation!" Piper looks at her with sassiest, sister-venum look I've seen in a while and is prepared to rip her sister a new one. I decide to save the game and say in a very enthusiastic, quiz show participant voice "The opposite of constipation is diarrhea!!!"
Piper then directs her venum at me and says "No, Ma-om, it has to start with an L!" And my oldest doesn't miss beat and jumps up and yells "LEAKING!!!!"
Piper rolls her eyes back towards Brenna and in a nanosecond decides to run with her hijacked games and says "We have a winner!"
Needless to say, the game was over because this contestant was laughing too hard to go on.

4 comments:

Tessa said...

I am laughing so hard! Way to go Brenna for coming up with "leaking!" So true and starts with L. Thanks for the internal jogging session! I needed it.

Stacey said...

I'm not sure what made me laugh more. Piper's air quotes or the whole game show saga. You have some funny girls!

Anonymous said...

This is reader number three, chiming in...

Thanks for always making me laugh out loud. :-)

~Stef

Gena said...

This is a great post. Next time somebody should say Brenna's name. The opposite would be someone in my family. (Talking brain cells here....)