If you have ever eaten dinner at house, you know we insist our daughters take "no thank you bites" of new foods. This rule has been in place even before Piper came along. Brenna doesn't complain anymore, she dutifully tries the new food. Usually she gives no reaction at all. Sometime she says it is fine and will eat more. And rare times, she will show her disgust at the filth I dare place on the table before her.
Piper is a whole different story. We are still in the phase of threats and battles of wills for her to try new foods. Even if she likes it, she will not give us the satisfaction of a second bite. It takes her an insanely ridiculous amount of time to get the food on her fork and it often falls off once or twice. And she chews forrreeeevvveerrrr with a horrific look on her face; sometimes never closing her lips. I have a really hard time suppressing my laughter during these shows, as I know it will only egg her on.
I feel, tonight, that we have begun to make headway. Without being prompted by me or Josh, she took a small sampling of the spaghetti squash on her plate. As she was about to put it in her mouth she said "When I am a mom, I will not make my kids eat "no thank you bites". In went the spaghetti squash, but was immediately chased by a crouton. My girl loves her carbs.
By the way, I have heard a lot lately about what Piper will and will not do when she is a mom. Yes, I am writing them down and plan to remind her of them at the appropriate time.
What Should Have Happened
2 months ago
5 comments:
So cute!!
I am a fan of those no thank you bites too. It's good to know someone else is having battles at the dinner table too!
Yes, definitely journal those moments for later...
"If you don't eat it you'll wear it!" Try that one, Pa
gaYup. We do "no thank you bites" too. And I would refer you to the first part of my post about "slop" as an additional example of attitude regarding food. One of our children has (only a couple times) actually gotten to wait for the next meal before deciding that it's better to eat the slop than complain about it. I know the other child will get there too. And yes, it is nice to know we're not the only ones! Haven't heard anything yet about "when I'm a dad..." but.... wait for it.... -- Catherine :-)
Post a Comment