Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hannah Montana vs. Miley Cyrus

I will confess that I have never seen an episode of Hannah Montana. We don't have cable so the Disney channel is not an option at our house. My girls have never seen an episode of Hannah Montana (to my knowledge), but they know who she is. They see her stuff in the stores and have heard her music from time to time.

At first I was glad to have avoided the whole scene because of the annoyance level, but now that Miley is growing up a little is getting older, I am SO thankful that Miley Cyrus is not on our radar. I am extremely grateful to not have to have a conversation with my 6 year old about the choices Miley is making. I don't want to answer those questions yet. In fact, I have a lot of questions I want to ask. ...like WHERE is her mama? I thought Billy Ray & Tish were doing a good job of keeping his daughter grounded in that crazy world they have chosen for her, but it looks like he has a new "Achy Breaky Heart". Or at least I hope his heart hurts some. I don't want to bash BR and Tish. I can't imagine what it would be like to raise a daughter in that world. But I wish for more for them...for her. More peace. More self confidence. More stability. More character. More self worth. Lots more self worth.

I am sad for the child who was once Hannah Montana and the child who is still Miley Cyrus. (She is only 17.) I am sad for all my friends who have to have that conversation with their daughters who have adored Hannah Montana.

If you aren't sure how to handle this conversation with your girls, I recommend this link.
I found the Secret Keeper Girl to be very encouraging as I am raising little girls in this very grown up world. Maybe you can find something helpful there, as well.

6 comments:

Kayla said...

Hannah Montana is actually on ABC kids on Sat. mornings. Or some regular channel that we non-cable goers have. When we came across it, I decided to see what it was like and the kids couldn't even watch it for 10 mins without leaving to play! Haha. Yet Avery talked all about her last year.

I guess there is Miley drama I don't know about! haha. Is she getting in trouble or turning into a major sex object?!

I like not having cable for this reason...amongst others! We know nothing about anyone!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I didn't know about this new video of MC but the website you linked to is great! I agree with all of that and it kills me what are kids are exposed to at such young ages. Good for you for watching out for your girls!

Michelle said...

Thanks Sarah! Great info. We don't have cable either, such a blessing. Do you know of any sites similar to the this that are geared for raising boys?

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sis. So proud of you. You know that I admire you and Josh and the fabulous parents you are. So glad you're in the circle of influence over my pip-squeaks.

~Stef

Josh and Kim said...

That side of her has not quite made it to Austria yet. She is still very sweet and innocent here. Thanks so much for making me aware of who she is becoming.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, on the SKG website, there is a FAQ page, and Dannah addresses the boy question there, mentioning a book and a Bible study series, I think. Here's the link.

http://www.secretkeepergirl.com/FAQ.aspx