Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I love my backyard

You can't tell by how seldom we mow it, but I love my backyard. I love starting my mornings with my coffee and the sounds of the day starting up. I love to hear the birds singing, the wind in the trees, the neighbor cars starting to venture out, the OC bells telling me it is time to go get ready. I enjoy watching the birds hunt for worms and other critters in the grass. It really is my very favorite way to start my day.

And now I have something new to watch. Apparently a stray cat hooked up with the Siamese stray that took our birds a few years ago and they created a happy little family. (I am sure the Siamese settled down and is now a supportive, caring husband and father.) That happy little family was born between two fences on our property line. I found them one afternoon running between the two fences when I was tending to the bushes. There are 4 kittens and the parents are undeniable. They are so stinking cute!!!
The girls names the mom Stefanie and the babies Sam, Sophie, Sandy and Serena. Piper decided the daddy is at work and his name is Simon.
(Above is Serena and Sophie playing on their mom.)

Stefanie with Sam playing in the bush.

Sophie venturing out to the bowl of milk. Yes, I know I shouldn't feed them.

I think this morning is the last time we will see the kittens. When I went outside this morning, two were venturing out further in the yard. They were on the porch as I walked through the living room. I only saw 2 all morning. As I sat out there with my coffee, Stefanie came around the corner of the house and walked the fence line back to the 2 kittens that had been playing on the bushes. She drank some milk and encouraged the kittens (Sam and Sophie) to drink some. Then she slowly led them farther in the yard, never really taking her eyes off me for too long. When she got Sophie well beyond the porch, she took off running and Sophie followed. Poor Sam was left behind. He wailed for the longest time, looking for his mama or sister. He went back to the fence line and bushes and Brenna and I went back in the house. I thought Stefanie might come back faster for Sam if we were not around. I can only assume mama is taking her family to a new home. I have enjoyed watching them play in our yard. I will miss them, like I miss our baby birds.
------------------------
I also enjoy afternoons hearing life playing out in my backyard. I love hearing the laughter of the neighbor kids. Some of them are singing and laughing, while others are yelling at their siblings. I prefer the laughing and singing (of Mia). I like hearing the lawn mowers going and cars returning from work. I love seeing my girls out creating adventures in the yard.

Brenna has started a landscaping company. Piper is her minion.


I love everything about this picture. Piper is not near enough to B to actually dump the dirt on her head, but it looks like B isn't too sure.


Piper caught several ladybugs. The whole time they were crawling on her she would say (repeatedly) "It tickles!"
We ate two strawberries this morning. They are tiny and sweet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun and that's a wonderful way to start your day, dear daughter. So glad you shared. love Ma

Kayla said...

How fun! So many adventures in your back yard!!