Many of us are heavy hearted today as we remember the tragedy in our own city 15 years ago. I remember clearly where I was when the bombing took place, as many of you do. I remember going to the Murrah building and trying to encourage rescue workers. I remember the groups singing and passing out food and water. I remember the people crying. I remember the tired recovery workers not letting their weary bodies stop their mission. I remember being proud of Oklahoma. I remember being proud of being a citizen of this state and city.
Waco has a very different memory of this date. But those memories are just as strong for the people who experienced that tragedy.
I found it interesting how many things took place on this date over the years.
First Boston Marathon held,
1897 American Revolution The American Revolution begins, 1775 Automotive Mario Andretti competes in first Indy car event, 1964 Civil War Baltimore Riots, 1861 Lincoln's Funeral, 1865 Cold War Soviet clowns lampoon U.S. foreign policy, 1949 Crime The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building explodes, 1995 Disaster Earthquake rocks Guatemala, 1902 General Interest Warsaw Ghetto Uprising begins, 1943 Branch Davidian compound burns, 1993 Hollywood My Big Fat Greek Wedding released, 2002 Literary Lord Byron dies in Greece, 1824 Music The Captain and Tennille bring wedded bliss to the pop charts with their first hit record, 1975 Old West Wyatt Earp dropped from Wichita police force, 1876 Presidential Jefferson sells servant to Madison, 1809 Sports First Boston Marathon run, 1897 Vietnam War Air Force pilot cited for bravery, 1967 Vietnam Veterans Against the War demonstrate, 1971 World War I Discussion of Italian claims begins at Paris peace conference, 1919 World War II Warsaw ghetto uprising put down, 1943
No comments:
Post a Comment