- I don't understand why "we" are fascinated by the lives of "famous" people like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, that woman who had 8 kids, or the other woman who had 14 of them.
- I don't understand why women continue to lie in tanning booths when the evidence is so clear what it will do to them.
- I don't understand why Walmart never has enough cashiers, even at 11pm.
- I don't understand why my girls get so angry at each other they cry and minutes later are playing in the bathroom sink together.
- I don't understand why anyone would ever find it acceptable to start a conversation with someone in a bathroom stall. If ever a person wanted some quiet time, that would be it!
I don't expect these have logical explanations, but I do hope there are other mysteries to me that you can help me comprehend. Here is one...
Today I was doing a Bible study about God's name of Elohim, which mean Creator. After reading Genesis account of God creating the world from nothing and recognizing His majesty in the world He built around us, I don't understand why global warming is a political issue. Shouldn't it be a human issue?
Perhaps you don't like Al Gore (I'm okay with that) or you don't believe that mankind is directly affecting the earth we have (I'm okay with that, too), but I guess I have trouble with this is understanding why everyone wouldn't be on board with treating our world, God's creation, with the respect it deserves. But since it is political hot topic, why is it that the Republican party (for the most part) are the naysayers? There must be more to it than I see because it seems like a natural fit that the party that professes aligning with Christ (and some boasting one can't be on the Left and a Christian) would also profess caring for the planet God created.
I am looking for other's opinions on this. I'm not trying to push buttons or start an argument, I want to know what you think and why you think it.
Feel free to share, but please sign your name. :)
6 comments:
Sarah, I agree with you completely. I heard a preacher once talk about how taking care of the earth didn't need to be a top priority of Christians. It was as if he was saying that we have to choose to either take care of the Creation or to go and make disciples of all nations. Well, why can't we do both? Why can't we teach our children to love and marvel at and respect the beautiful world that God put before us, while also teaching to love others as Christ would? Why can't we teach them that caring for the earth and being responsible citizens isn't contrary to being Christian?
I'm with you... I don't get it.
~Stef
Both sides make sense to me. Taking care of people to me is more important since this earth will be nothing but a ball of fire one day. If it came down to crappy healthcare in order to clear our ozone, not sure I would want that. I have no idea what the US budget looks like, but usually if you add something you have to take away something else.
Repub's seem to be less government spenders, not because they don't care but because they think issues like that should be on a state level and not federal level. Many Federal agencies aren't up to par and are understaffed, leading to being less effective. However, church organized and other state/city non-profit agencies are much more effective. There may be other ways to help global warming on a smaller scale?
I think too far right and too far left are both bad ideas. I don't want government handling everything but I don't want them handling nothing. I also don't like the idea of another country practially owning us because we are in so much debt to them. I am confident that all politicians only tell us certain things, leaving out a lot of important details.
There is my random answer! I haven't researched anything though!
Here's what I think (no research involved):
1.Christians should take care of the earth out of respect for our Creator
2.It is political because someone has to regulate people who have total disregaurd for the earth. Ex: dumping of hazardous materials
3.If God put oil under Alaska's soil, He knew we would need to dig it up. Not that we shouldn't take care while drilling.
And that's my 2 cents,
Mandy
In the Genesis account “the LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.” This looks like the first order of business to me and I nowhere find it rescinded. As for the question about us humans adversely affecting our environment: does anyone doubt acid-rain? What about the near destruction of aquatic life on the Hudson or Cuyahoga rivers? How can we deny the culprits of the dustbowl? We readily accept mankind’s impact on our earth at the macro level. Why not the macro level? Who can doubt the glib expression from the Seventies: if you keep crapping in your nest you’ll eventually find yourself nesting in your crap! Your aging radical leftist hippy pa.
God told the people in Eden to fill the earth and subdue it and have authority over all living things. "Subdue" there in Hebrew means to have authority over, to bring into bondage, etc. So it seems like part of our God given rights to go everywhere and use whatever we want.
But not irresponsibly, of course. God-given rights are balanced by God-given responsibilities. Like using our resources to share what we have in excess with those in deficit, taking care of the aged and fatherless, and such things. I don't think it's God's plan that we use it up greedily or profit from extermination and waste.
On the other hand, maybe it's part of the Grand Scheme of Things that the Earth must decay and deline so much that the New Heaven and New Earth will seem so awesome. I get that from Romans 8:18 - 25.
Finally, I think (just my opinion) the destruction of the Earth is something that God has reserved for himself and himself alone. We can't do it. That doesn't mean we get to pollute it willy-nilly, but it DOES mean that all these "sky is falling" alarmists might be overreaching. That's just me, tho.
Love, Darin.
Darin, you know I love you, and I totally disagree with the idea that we can't do massive destruction to the earth. That's how I read what you wrote. If you are saying that people don't have the power to bring about God's destruction of the earth by fire, well, I agree with that.
I think what we should get from "all these 'sky is falling' alarmists" is the idea that we are not taking good care of the fallen Eden that we have been given, and that the negligence has long-reaching effects. What is disgusting to me is that these things do seem motivated, ultimately, by greed or carelessness.
I am curious about how drastically things have changed since the industrial revolution...
Oh, and I think about the verse that says, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it," and I think that we have such a responsibility to take care of what belongs to God.
Post a Comment