Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sonshine School Program




Tonight was our end of the year program at the girl's SonShine School. We have done this several times now and enjoy it every year. The kids and teachers do a great job.

I was reminded this morning of when Brenna was 3 she did every embarrassing thing a child could do during her performance, including (but not limited to) nose picking, pulling dress up over head and getting arms stuck in dress. She loved hearing about it today and vowed not to repeat it tonight. I was concerned about Piper still.

For several weeks the girls have singing their secret songs (at the top of their lungs while I am in the other room and can't hear them - wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and practicing their memory verse. While tonight was a special night, it wasn't monumental in any way. We hoped to get some cute pictures and oohh and aahh over our kids and their friends and compare them to last year and anticipate next year.

At 1:30, that plan changed for the Bailey family. Thanks to my good friend, we found out our school district changed their plans for the 2009-2010 school year. (She encouraged me to go read B's take home folder right away - her mom is a teacher in the district)

My baby is going to all day Kindergarten.

I am thrilled about this for her. She will love it and thrive in the environment. Initially, I was nothing but happy. But now I find myself thinking about what that means for our day to day routine. No more peanut butter and jelly sandwich lunches talking about our mornings. Less time at the park. Some other woman will spend more time with my child than I will most days a week. And this is how it is to be for 12 years. I don't love that.

Back to the program for tonight. Since B will not be returning to SSS next year for another fantastic year with Ms. Kari, she graduated tonight.

SHE GRADUATED TONIGHT!!

I'm good with this, I'm excited for her, it's "just" sonshine school. It's not like she leaving home...but... she wore a cap and gown...
and got a diploma...
and took pictures with her other graduating friends...
and shared her mortar board with her little sister. ...and so it begins.


I suppose it was nice to not be overly emotional about it all. I didn't have time to be. We rolled with the punches. and we had a great time oohhhing and aahhhing over our kids and their friends, comparing them to last year, and anticipating next year - with B sitting beside us instead of performing. ...and so it begins.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I almost cried when Ms. Pruett told me it was going to full day Kindergarten next year. I'm SO NOT ready for my baby to be gone all day! What will I do with my zoo pass and omniplex pass?(haha) They can't be ready to be gone ALL day yet, can they? Your pics are beautiful....keep rolling with the punches!!

The Lj's said...

Great Pictures and great post... I was wondering why you happened to check Bren's bag thinking it was a fluke but i guess you got a tip!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

You will never have to lament over turning around and picking her up 2 hours after you drop her off, though! It's a good thing....

Anonymous said...

I actually could never do the zoo or omniplex much since I had to get Avery at 11:30. Wouldn't be enough time in the morning (we don't get up and dressed fast!) and if we waited until afterwards...its Zane's naptime. I think this will be nice. We'll just have to make 3:30-5:00 super special big girl time!!

Lesley said...

thanks sarah, i'm crying again! ;)

Kayla said...

I totally just made my comment anonymous...guess i'm used to it with you!

kj said...

Our girls are SO BIG AND GROWN UP!!!!