Tuesday, October 17, 2006

a trip to Target


One saturday a few weeks past, the girls and I loaded up after being at the shop all day. As we walked to the car, Brenna reminded me that she had not taken a nap. She then declared she didn't need one because she wasnt' tired. I told her that was fine and that we were going to Target to get Piper some formula and stuff to make cookies. She, of course, was thrilled by this. As we pulled in the Target parking lot (which is less than 2 miles from the shop) Piper was sound asleep and Brenna was doing the head bob thing. I started talking to her to wake her up as we parked. She perked up and started talking about what she wanted to look at in the store adn just which cart she wanted to use. I knew our time was limited, so I was moving quickly. We went to the grocery section first and got chocolate chips. As we rounded the isle for formula, I noticed Brenna was falling asleep sitting up in the cart. I tried singing and talking but nothing woke her up, only her head falling forward..and that was only for seconds. I picked up my pace even more and headed to check out. Of course, when we got there, there were only long lines, even in the express lane. Piper was still asleep. I picked Brenna up and let her sleep on my shoulder (kind of sitting on the handlebar of the cart) while we were waiting. Then it came time to put our stuff on the conveyor belt. I jostled Brenna around and asked her to help me. She got down and sat on the floor of the cart, and immediately went to sleep. Since my arms were free, I just unloaded, purchases and reloaded our stuff while she slept. I decided to leave her where she was until we got to the car. This seemed like a good plan. But not so much. As we were about halfway to our car, Brenna rolled right off the cart. I scooped her up as quickly as I could, and realized the girl never woke up. I was laughing so hard all by myself in the middle of the Target parking lot with absolutely no one share it with. I wish you could have been there!!!!

No comments: